We have been working with Alvaro from Neo on the Drupal site, which you can view at ssd-staging.eff.org/en. We are still working a bit on the overall look and some of the content. During the mini disco-tech in class on Wednesday, we will have time for everyone to explore the site.
For this week, we focused on finalizing our images and design elements. Alvaro from Neo should have a working site up by this Friday, so once he does, we’ll start to actually implement the site. Hopefully, we’ll be done with that by next Wednesday (last class!). Again, the mockup of the website design is here.
In the meantime, we’ve made an interactive mockup that shows where the GIFs go inside the written content (for the finalized content sections).. We also have a mockup of an interactive flowchart here. Any and all feedback is welcome!
This week, we met with Alvaro from Neo and continued to work on graphics and tools to accompany the SSD content.
We asked Alvaro to help us build a Drupal theme based on our wireframes into which we will dump our content. We went over the wireframes that we put up last week and generalized them to specify a more structural layout that he will be able to work with (view here), the structural layout is below the original mockup). He will be providing us with an update by Wednesday, and he hopes to have the completed theme done by next week.
We have a few more completed graphics, and we are still working on more graphics as well as an interactive threat model flowchart tool.
This week we made some more prototypes and worked on the case study – now that we have another iteration of the website, we’re hoping that someone at Neo can make us a Drupal template into which we could send all of the information. Up next – hopefully we’ll be meeting with someone at Neo soon, and since Jillian sent us a few more final versions of the text, we’ll be making some more animations.
Click below the cut for prototypes
Last week we had a really productive meeting with Jillian and Mark (and Becky). Jillian had some feedback about the visual elements of the website, and Mark had some thoughts about the current staging site and the more technical aspects of the site, particularly the various Drupal modules which he’s installed. We talked about a timeline for the project – our goal is to have a functioning prototype within the next week or so. The goal of our first project iteration is to allow us to assess the overall design of the site.
Over the weekend, we met up to try to hack something together. Unfortunately, we struggled a lot with just installing Drupal and getting into our Virtual Machine, as well as understanding the structure of the repo, but after spending hours poring over the code, we’re starting to get a handle on Drupal, and we’ve developed a work plan for this week. Hopefully, now that everything’s installed and we have access to the staging site, the github repo, and the virtual machine, things will be smoother sailing from here on out.
The first step in our work plan will be to finalize the design of the SSD home page and individual content pages and then implement them with our custom Drupal theme. Then we will be able to focus purely on the content of the site.
This is the week the EFF will be presenting in class, and we’ll be doing an interactive workshop afterwards.
- Paulina & Wei-Wei
Some first layout ideas:
Our first idea for a module’s page layout with an embedded prezi.
Not sure about embedding prezis, but that top part would be some sort of graphical or interactive thing. Sidebar helps organization and navigation of the text content.
Over the past two weeks, we have signed our working agreement, met with Jillian to go over some ideas and wireframes, and been introduced to two new EFF members, Hugh from the design team (designed the logo above) and Mark from the tech team.
During our meeting with Jillian, we showed her two mockups of the SSD site, one for the homepage and one for a content module. We also discussed our ideas for making the content more interactive and bite-sized such as Prezis or Buzzfeed-style articles. Since the content needs to be available in many different languages, we have to keep in mind how to make these content bits easily translatable. Jillian also sent us the module list, so we are beginning to organize the modules for the site’s navigation bar.
Jillian also introduced us to Hugh (design) and Mark (tech). Mark has added us to the github repository for the working version of the SSD site, so we will begin exploring what they have implemented and how to work from there.
We will be meeting with Jillian, Eva, Mark, and Becky on Monday (3/31) to go over the more technical aspects of the site and to plan out an implementation schedule.
We will show the class our wireframes and example interactive modules on Wednesday during the project presentations.
- Paulina & Wei-Wei